Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Choosing grindcore

I have been reading a book about the history of Grindcore and Death Metal. When it was first appearing I listened to some of the bands. Most of the time I wrote it off as a mess. Grindcore was too fast and grunted vocals that were indiscernible. Death Metal was the same with lyrics about zombies and cannibalism, I couldn't look any further into the music, I didn't believe any message.

As time passed, I grew to appreciate some of the bands. My interest in Justin Broadrick and Godflesh brought me back to Napalm Death and Extreme Noise Terror. My stint on the Ozzfest tour renewed my appreciation of extreme metal. But the question always haunted me about the vocals, if you can't hear them why write lyrics?

I don't regret my choices, I still think grunted vocals don't make sense, though I do understand why some bands chose them. The vocals are what made me start to explore that part of musical history. So take a look at the shortest song ever according to the Guinness Book of World Records, "You Suffer" by Napalm Death.

No comments: